What is a Dementia Friendly Community?
A Dementia Friendly Community (DFC) is one that recognises and embraces the challenges that a life with dementia presents to both people with dementia and their carers, enabling them to live life to its full potential.
A group of like-minded people have got together in East Sutherland to turn our county from one that has little dementia support to a model of dementia excellence for both people with dementia and their family carers, so that no-one newly diagnosed ever has to walk the lonely dementia journey alone.
How is this achieved? By working collaboratively – and building on the strengths that are already present in any town or village – to develop a beacon ‘Dementia Friendly Community’ that will provide the inspiration for other towns and villages in East Sutherland to follow.
Our objectives over the next months are to:
- Identify the key partners, services, activities and businesses within any given town or village to develop a local map of ‘the people and the place’;
- Engage with and by increasing the knowledge and understanding of all key players bring Dementia to the top of any local agenda;
- Challenge the stigma, myths and misconceptions about Dementia by opening the channels of communication and removing the barriers to change that stereotyping can bring;
- Work with local services and businesses to make the community a dynamic and friendly place for people with dementia, their carers, families and friends to live and work in as well as to visit;
- Work together to increase the opportunity for people with dementia and their carers to remain engaged in their chosen activities of life for as long as they wish to;
- Work together to increase empathy and support for dementia carers by developing a shared understanding of the emotional and practical challenges they face.
The 4 Es: our principles for success
- Engage – with the local community, bring them on board with the project and make a Dementia Friendly Community our shared goal
- Educate – increase knowledge and awareness in all settings and with all people
- Enthuse – ‘standing still is not an option’ - lead by example and through positive messages and outcomes
- Enable – make the changes needed and develop the services and opportunities so that dementia isn’t an accepted barrier to quality of life
Anyone interested in working to achieve this goal, should contact firstname.lastname@example.org